We decided to plant, squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelons, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, green beans, peas, strawberries, yellow bell peppers, habenaro peppers, jalapenos, radishes and green onions. (the last 4 plants are for Jerry, he wants to make some homemade salsa)
We chose to do the square foot gardening method. So far I love it.
As I was watering our plants the other day a thought came to my mind....Growing a garden and raising children are a lot alike.
You see, Jerry and I were a bit neglectful and lazy one night. We thought, "Oh it isn't going to get cold enough tonight. We don't need to cover our plants." The forecast said that the low would be 42 degrees. When Jerry came home from work that morning and the temperature on our car said 32 degrees. Jerry instantly knew that it got below freezing that night and he hoped our plants would not be ruined. When he came home we went out back and came upon this sight.
One of our zucchini plants was completely lifeless and frozen. Now, because of our neglectfulness we won't be able to enjoy any food from this plant.
It made me realize how easily we can get sidetracked and lazy. I soon realized the connection between growing a garden and raising children.
I have realized that many times I lose focus on what is important.
Jerry and I cannot simply say, "Oh it isn't a big deal that we don't have FHE tonight, read our scriptures today or go to church. It isn't going to make that much of a difference in our family."
For these are the simple things that make the biggest impact in OUR family life.
It is sad to say that I am now more committed to taking care of our garden. It had to take killing a plant to realize this but at least I finally realized it. Luckily, it was only one plant and the rest of our garden is growing like crazy.
But how sad would I be if I had to say, "Only one of our children forgot everything they were taught but the rest are okay." or "Only one of our children weren't taught the correct principles but the rest were."
My goal is to have ALL of my children with me for eternity. And it is up to me and Jerry to teach them the things they need to know so that they can get there.
I just pray that I will have the help and guidance to know what to do and how to raise them. I know that this is the only way that I will be able to raise them successfully so that they can be with me for eternity.
No comments:
Post a Comment