Sunday, June 21, 2009

One Year Older...and Wiser Too????

Yesterday was my birthday...I'm a whoppin 23 years old.

Jerry worked the night before and the night of my birthday so I wasn't really expecting much. He already bought my birthday present, (and Mother's Day gift...an EOC from Saladmaster...I love it!!) However, he surprised me by waking up early, dropping they boys off at my mom's and taking me to dinner. Except, when we got to my favorite mexican restaurant in Pinetop El Cupidos, he felt in his pockets for his wallet and guess what??? It wasn't there. It was still in his lunch box on our kitchen counter. My wallet was in the diaper bag at my mom's house. We only had an hour left until he had to leave for work so we headed back to home. By the time we got back we only had 30 minutes to eat so we settled for Alibertos. He felt horrible and said he'd make it up to me. Guess what though??? It was a great date. #1 I was surprised by it all. #2 I got to spend 1 1/2 hours with just him. No telling kids to be quiet or to eat their food. #3 It's the thought that counts. So thanks Jer! It really was a good date!!

I spent the earlier part of the day with my mom and nephews at the park. Kaysen and Gage both had so much fun playing with Taron & Tanner. Kaysen loves those boys!!!



Kaysen must have known it was my birthday. He acted exceptionally well! He only got put in time out once. This was a major milestone!!! Lately, I've been having a really hard time with him. I've tried spanking, corners, taking toys/movies away and last of all soap in his mouth. Because he just YELLS at me. No matter what I do, he is still rebellious. I put him in time out and he tells me "No Mom. Take Mickey Mouse away." or I take a toy away and he says, "Throw it in the trash, Mom!!" I never seem to win. Some days I just want to throw in the towel...but I know I can't and I won't. My friend reminded me that "I need to pick my battles." This has really helped me out. I have realized that I don't need to freak over every little thing Kaysen does wrong. He is learning. I mean, he is being patient with me while I learn to be a better mom so I need to be more patient with him while he learns how to be a better person.

Gage also must have known it was my birthday. He slept for 10 hours straight last night!!! That is amazing. He has only done this a couple other times for me. Hopefully it wasn't just a Birthday present for me, and he will continue this good habit. That would be great!!!


3 comments:

ashley b said...

happy birthday!
i feel you on the struggle with kaysen. i am there with gage and sometimes just feel like a huge failure. i know it's just a stage though and we'll get through this. hopefully sooner than later. you are a great mom charlsye!

Angela said...

Happy B-lated! Sounds like a day of adventure :)

Krystin said...

happy belated b-day! you're still a young one!
completely understand about throwin in the towel. you are so absolutely right about how you looks at it though. i know this tough time will pass and soon enough when they are gone we will be wishing to be back at this stage of life. enjoy the battles !! haha
and we so totally need to get together soon. i know you guys are busy with your home (which looks beautiful by the way) but I have got a video you need to see of jerry!! :) it is pure BLACKMAIL!! nolan made it for me while i was at my first year of college and jerry is classic. we just came across is and kyle thought it was so hilarious!! tell jerry he has some nice legs and see if he remembers!!! :) haha