Friday, October 8, 2010

Our 4 year old...

On the 6th of October our eldest son celebrated his 4th birthday party. Not just any birthday party...a PIRATE birthday party. He has been talking about his PIRATE party since Gage's birthday. It was the second thing he spoke about when he woke up that morning. The first was...I'm 4! Am I as tall as Greg now? (being our friend Greg Fish, who is at least 6'4".)


Once again I decided to try and make a cake for my kids. Really, have I not learned that I am NO good at cake decorating? This is supposed to be a pirate ship in the ocean. It was my 3rd cake. I told Jerry I was going to Safeway if this one didn't work out decently. I couldn't find pirate figurines to put on the ship so we just have a treasure chest, cannons, cannon balls, railing and sails...oh yeah. And blue jello that wouldn't set up. All the hard work and dissapointment (mine) was worth it when Kaysen walked in saying, "Oh mom! That's an awesome pirate ship!" Good thing 4 year olds are easy to please huh?


We invited 7 little boys to come over to our house for a treasure hunt and cake. I got them pirate bandanas and patches to dress up with as they went on their treasure hunt. They followed a detailed map which Jerry drew and each of the boys got their very own treasure box filled with candy. They all had so much fun, but were mostly excited to go back inside and open presents and play with all the new toys.

I've noticed that I'm really good at recording the birthday parties, but not at taking pictures. I have none of him opening presents or blowing out the candles....at least it's on video though.



The worst part of this special day was that Jerry got called and picked for jury duty. Of course! So he wasn't able to be there for any of the party. However, when he got home we headed to El Rancho and had them sing to Kaysen. That way we could celebrate as a family. Kaysen thought he was pretty cool. I was so excited to get fried ice cream...its my favorite. However, I was so full from dinner, all of us were, so we didn't even finish all of the ice cream. ugh...I wish I had it to eat right now.



I remember waiting and waiting to get pregnant with you Kaysen. As soon as we found out we were over joyed. I don't think we fully understood the happiness and love you would be bringing into our home. You are my biggest helper and best example. You pray daily for us to "talk nice and be obedient." You make me want to be a better person and especially mother. We love you and hope that you had the best 4th birthday ever!



No comments: