Thursday, October 13, 2011

Doubly Blessed...


(36 Weeks Pregnant with Twins)

On Sunday, October 2nd I went to the hospital at 11:00am because I was having hard contractions every 5 minutes. By the time I arrived to the hospital they were every 2 minutes and getting harder. I was a 4 and 90% effaced. My doctor informed me that because I was 36 weeks she would not stop my labor but would also not do anything to speed it along. 


So I was to stay in bed, hooked to an I.V. If I would progress to a 5 then she would break my water but not until then.  So they checked me again at 5:00pm and I was still a 4 and 90% effaced.  I checked myself out of the hospital, knowing they weren't going to do anything to move it along and that I would be much more comfortable at home.  My doctor was oh so nice enough to give me an induction date of October 16th though...


All week long I had contractions.  Sometimes as close as 5 minutes apart again but I still put off going to the doctor until I was in "good" labor.


On Wednesday I had a BPP done. The ultrasound tech noticed that something looked different in Baby A's upper right chamber on her heart.  It was decided that I'd go to the valley to get a stage 2 ultrasound done to see just what was going on. If something was wrong then I'd stay in the valley to deliver. If not, I could come home.   Turns out it was the moderator band that we saw. It is supposed to be there, sometimes it just looks odd. 


My doctor informed me that because my blood pressure was steadily rising she would be willing to induce me on Sunday, October 9th instead of the 16th.  I was thrilled. I knew I only had 2 days to go!!


On Saturday morning I woke up and felt a little wet. I really thought that my water had broke.  I gave it a few hours and waited to see if anything else happened.  Nothing happened but I called my water to give her a heads up. She didn't think that it was my water that broke. So I resumed my normal plans and we had a grandparent birthday party dinner for Kaysen.  All the while I was having some good contractions but put them out of my mind knowing that I was being induced the next morning and my doctor would probably just tell me to wait it out unless they got "really good."


At 8:30 I decided to call it a night.  I wanted to be rested up for my induction the next morning that was to happen at 8:00am.  I quickly fell asleep as Jerry browsed away on our laptop. 


At 9:05pm I woke up with an excruciating pain in my stomach.  Jerry helped me get out of bed and I barely made it into the bathroom before my water broke. This time there was no doubt that it had broken.


Jerry immediately called his mom to come and stay with the boys and at 9:15pm we headed to Show Low. I called my doctor to give her a heads up. Then I asked Jerry to say a prayer that we would make it to the hospital in time, as he drove. At that time my contractions were about 10 minutes apart and not very intense. Boy was I in for the most interesting and intense drive to Show Low in my entire life.  Jerry was driving 85-50 mph most of the time and would speed up during my contractions. By the time we got to Taylor my contractions were coming every 5 minutes and getting pretty hard.  Then by the time we got on the Deuce of Clubs my contractions were every 2 minutes and VERY intense. 

Did I mention that I had epidurals with my previous two children so by the time REALLY intense contractions came I was so oblivious to the pain I was smiling and sleeping throughout them???  I am no longer niave to REAL contraction pain and I must say that although it hurt like crazy, it is somewhat nice to know that I could handle it. (although screaming came along with them)


My Mom was waiting at the ER entrance of the hospital for us.  They had been notified in advance that we were coming and were supposed to have a wheelchair ready for me.  However, it wasn't ready. I stood in the entrance of the ER and had two horrible contractions and could literally feel the baby. Finally they got me in a wheelchair and up to a room in Labor and Delivery. 


I really think that the hospital staff didn't think that I was in REAL labor. The nurse told me to get in a gown and that I could go to the bathroom.  I went in the bathroom to change but knew there was no way I could go to the bathroom. I had a contraction as soon as the door closed and once again I could feel the baby.  Jerry managed to get me back to the bed and helped the nurses strip my clothes off and put a gown on during a contraction.  The nurse went to check me but only had to lift up my gown to see that the baby was coming. She yelled at me not to push and ran out the door to notify the nurses that I was complete and ready. 


They wheeled me into the Operating Room.  Simply because I was expecting twins and it is high risk and many times an emergency c-section is needed.  I was having contractions like crazy at this point and really needed/wanted to push but was constantly being told not to. 




They got me on the Operating Room bed and 30 second later my doctor arrived.  Finally the nurse said, "Okay Charlsye. With this next contraction you CAN push."  I was so relieved. Contractions are bad enough...but having to keep a baby inside while having these contractions was pure torture.  So as soon as the nurse said those words a contraction came and at 10:26pm Kynlee Claire Miller was born. She weighed 4lbs 12oz and was 18 1/2" long. From the time I arrived to the hospital to the time our sweet girl arrived was 11 minutes. The prayer we said on the way was definitely answered and we couldn't be more grateful.

The ultrasound tech had just arrived and was ready to figure out where Baby B was at so we could try and deliver. At the same time, my doctor was checking me and felt his feet.  Yep. He changed position again and was trying to come out feet first.   She tried to manipulate him but as soon as she tried that his heart rate dropped to 56 and mine dropped to 59.  An emergency c-section became necessary.  I was put under general anesthesia and at 10:44pm Teagen Blake Miller was born.  He weighed 4lbs 10z and was 18 1/2" long.

 
Teagen (left) Kynlee (right)

I came out of anesthesia around midnight and the nurses informed me that my babies were good and healthy. I was so out of it at first that I couldn't really remember that I had just given birth.  At 1:30 am Jerry and my mom and sister were finally able to come back and see me. Then the babies were brought into my room and I was able to hold them both for the first time. 


They let us enjoy our babie for a few minutes before having to take them back for a bit more evaluation.  Since they were twins born at 37 weeks the hospital likes to keep them back in the nursery for 6 hours of evaluation.  At 4:30 they put me in a new room in postpartum and Jerry and I slept until 6:00 am expecting our babies to come any minute. Finally around 8:00am we were able to be with our babies again. 


Kaysen has been the best big brother.  He LOVES to hold the babies and feed them when given the chance. 

Gage loves them too but he doesn't want to hold them or help them as much. He's to busy. He likes to say hi to them, tell people their names and give them a quick kiss, then he's ready to move onto something more fun. 


We ended up having to stay in the hospital until Wednesday morning because it has been hard for Teagen to keep his blood sugar up.  He doesn't have enough body fat stored for his body to regulate the sugars enough.  His weight dropped to 4lbs 6oz and Kynlee dropped to 4lbs 8oz, which isn't a lot at all but when you are as small as they are, you don't have much you can lose. The doctors wanted us to supplement Teagen with formula so we did that for a bit but it didn't really seem to help so I am just nursing both of them for now. They both seem to be doing great.  




 Our family

 All dressed up and ready to go home.




 I love their naked little bodies. Look how small they are!

They already have little secrets....



We love these two little babies and are so excited to have them in our family. We know the next little bit is going to be rough but we are ready for the challenge and the memories we are about to make.


Did I mention how awesome of a family we have? We came home to find some homemade cards from our awesome nieces and nephews. And more offers for help than we know what to do with.  We really are blessed to have such an amazing family! 

13 comments:

A said...

Charlsye, they are beautiful. Congrats! You're little family is adorable! Im glad everything went well!!

Heidi said...

You are amazing charlsye!!! Congratualations! You guys have such a beautiful family!!!! Glad everthing went well with getting the twins here!

Unknown said...

I've been waiting for this post!! Yay, congratulations!! & you poor lady- have one all-natural & an emergency C-section for the other... what a trooper! So glad everyone is healthy- the babies are beautiful!

Tia said...

Well...now you can say you've had every type of deliver possible! ;) I'm so happy for you guys. Such a cute little family! I still can't believe that now we have twins in our family! We sure love you guys and wish we were closer so we could come over and play with the twins and bodyslam Kaysen. ;) j/k!

Chelsea Coon said...

Congrats Charlsye!! They are just perfect...so glad everything went well!!

{Bryanna} said...

Charlsye, Im so excited for you and your family! They are beautiful babies! Thank goodness for blessings, and the priesthood power. Gezz that was a close one! Thanks for sharing :)
love
Bryanna

Jessica said...

I have been wondering and thinking about you so I am glad to see this post!! I am glad that everything went well and you are finally home. You have two beautiful babies and what cute names!! Let me know if I can do anything...so excited they are finally here!! :)

Alicia said...

Trenton was born exactly 11 minutes after we got to the hospital too! Maybe that means he'll marry Kynlee :)

My water didn't break though. I was having contractions on top of the water sack (gross visual, I know).

I still can't believe you had to go through BOTH an all-natural delivery AND a c-section. You're going straight to Heaven. I hope you know that.

ashley b said...

Yay Charlsye! They are perfect and you my dear did a fantastic job! I can't even imagine having to go through all of that labor pain in a vehicle! You're awesome! Congratulations to you and your family of 6! :)

jasonandjannafamily said...

Congrats ..you got yourself a beautiful family

Orin, Minette and Sadie Packard said...

Wow! What a crazy story but so glad you are all well and doing great! Congrats! They are seriously so precious! I love brother sister twins and their names! You seriously have such a beautiful family! :)

Kristal said...

Congratulations!! They're so so cute! I wanna hold em. And good job on pushin em out. I love hearing about twins born vaginally. So many people just instantly opt for c sections with twins. So glad everything went well. And your water breaking story sounds like mine. ha. My water broke all over th enlace with Jaden and I went in and they tested it and it didn't spread under the microscope, so they told me to go home...and right when I stood up off the triage bed, I flooded the room. ha! Cute babies, can't wait to see them over the next few months, they change so much!

Kristal said...

oh and we have LOVED being a family of 6. It's great to have 2 to play together and another 2 to play together. Yours are a bit closer. haha, But Jaden was only 7 when Pearce was born, so just a year or two right??? I want to be done after this next one, but J said we have to have a playmate for her now. ugh! Will it ever end? haha!