Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A few months ago I was cleaning the house and my eldest son wanted to help me. I never turn down this offer. He loves to sweep, mop, do dishes, dust and of course vacuum.

Anyways, on this day I decided to have the T.V. on so that we would have a little bit of background noise. You see, both of my boys are too much like their mom when it comes to their sleeping habits. They are very light sleepers and hear everything. Gage was asleep and Kaysen and I were being noisy as we went from room to room trying to get it clean.

I had the channel on the morning news and thought this would be okay. However, does anyone realize what mostly comes on after the morning news??? On this particular day I got to listen to some good ol' Maury. I really didn't notice anything that was going on until I heard " You bleeep! bleeeeeep!!! BLEEEEEP!!!" Oh boy! I made a mad dash into my living room and quickly turned it to "Little Einsteins."

On this day I vowed that I would get rid of T.V. soon.

This prior commitment I had to get rid of T.V. somehow faded because I didn't want to pay an early termination fee.

However, I just so happen to have the most observant little boy in the world. On Monday night Jerry was flipping through the channels when a stupid episode of South Park was on. Trust me... we didn't have it on for even .2 seconds. But, it was just long enough for Kaysen to see a cartoon girl walk around in a thong. He instantly yells, "butt crack! " and laughs. The next thing I know he is getting his underwear and pulling them right in between his two cute little cheeks, running around my house yelling "Butt crack! Butt crack!! (nice story huh??)

Instantly I turn to Jerry and said, "Tomorrow I am cancelling T.V."

Guess what???

I finally did it!! Our contract still has more time on it so I have to pay an "early termination fee" but when I really think about it. I don't care. I just want it out of my house. I know that most people probably don't think that what Kaysen did was bad...it is actually pretty funny. But think about what else he could be seeing on T.V.?? I don't want him copying any of it.

So today has been my first day at home with no T.V. Kaysen still has his movies that he can watch but I have no channels to flip through.

You know what I found out???

1. I don't miss it at all.
2. I don't spend as much time sitting on the couch therefore I am also eating less.
3. I got all of my laundry and work done today.
4. I read 3x's as many books to Kaysen & Gage.
5. I had conversations with Jerry without one of us missing part of it because we were paying more attention to the t.v.
6. I played some of my favorite music such as, Hilary Weeks & Katherine Nelson for background noise (good music from my local "Book Barn")
7. Even with paying our early termination fee we just saved over $600 a year.
8. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

3 comments:

ashley b said...

that is good for you charlsye! i have had that thought many many times but for some reason just can't get myself to do it. really when the tv is on at our house it is on disney or noggin until the evening when i watch my stupid reality shows i'm hooked on and the news. but you are sure right that kids catch on quick. it's frightening to think of all the things that are waiting out in the world for our kids. you are a good mom!

Krystin said...

Good for you!! It was the best decision we ever made too. We haven't had it since November and I do NOT miss it one bit.
It was so shocking to go to a super bowl party and see how much we had justified what was being shown. I was utterly disgusted with all the commercials.

Unknown said...

I am SO with you on this one!! I HATE TV- it seems like such a waste of time. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple choice shows I enjoy watching, but my heart wouldn't break if I missed seeing them! Your home will be so much nicer now that you've taken all the possibilities of "the world" coming in!