Thursday, August 25, 2011

Close Call...

On Tuesday morning I dropped Kaysen off at preschool then headed into Holbrook. They have reading time at the library every Tuesday at 9:30 and I thought it would be a good distraction for Gage. We were early so I took him over to the park for a bit of fun before hand. Well, I lost track of time and realized too late that it was already 9:45 so we just left the park and headed to the store for a few items.

Like always, this little guy had to go to the bathroom at the store. So I took him and realized I needed to also. I need to be thankful that he needed to go because I realized I was spotting. We paid for our 1 item and left the store immediately. I headed home, laid down and tried to think of what to do. I didn't want to over react and have it be nothing. I didn't want to do nothing and put my babies life and mine in danger.

Finally I called my Dr. and she told me to go the Labor and Delivery at the hospital. So I called Jerry and he left work, checked Kaysen out of school and we headed to Show Low. On the drive he kept asking if I was having contractions. I didn't know. I felt my belly getting tight but with Kaysen and Gage I had such bad lower back pain and minimal stomach pain that I was looking for that instead.

My mom met us at the hospital and took Kaysen and Gage with her. We got to Labor and Delivery and they hooked me up to the monitors. Turns out I was having some pretty good contractions every 8 minutes. Then they got even more strong. Eventually I was having contractions every 2 1/2 minutes...and that was after one dose of Trabutaline (sp?) So they gave me another shot of Trabutaline and a dose of Procardia to help stop the contractions. Plus I got a steroid shot to help develop the babies lungs incase they really were coming. Did I mention that those steroid shots hurt. I felt like I got kicked in the rear end by a horse.

Eventually my contractions slowed down but they wanted to keep me overnight. Luckily my contractions weren't causing me to dialate but my cervix is getting "soft" so they wanted me there for a bit more observation. Finally at 4:00 pm yesterday they gave me another dose of the steroid shot and sent me home.

I am now on modified bedrest. Meaning I have bathroom priveleges and minor kitchen ones. I can take my boys to school and that's about it. I have to stay down for at least 70% of the day. That's pretty hard with 2 kids to take care of.

Today has been long and boring. My amazing mother-in-law showed up at 7:30 this morning and took the boys. She kept them until after 12, just in time to drop them off so they could take a nap. So, thanks to her I haven't been up much at all...I've just been bored out of my mind. My Dr. says to hang in there as long as I can. 3 weeks would be pretty good. But she told my pediatrician that she'd be surprised if I made it another 2 weeks. I am determined to do all I can to last at LEAST 3 more. Each week I can put it off is that much healthier they will be.

But boy this is hard for me. I want so badly to do all that I can to keep these babies healthy yet I feel like my other two are going on the back burner. Luckily I have an amazing family that is willing to do so much for me. My sister in laws are offering to take my boys to school and pick them up and I am so grateful. But that makes me feel horrible too. Each day that I pick up Gage he runs out the door and says, "Mom, you came back!" and hugs my legs so tight. I love that reaction and I don't want him feeling like I'm neglecting him. Plus his birthday is next week (what????) and I had stuff planned for it, now I don't know how much of that will be getting done and I don't want my little guy disapointed. Kaysen keeps telling me that he's going to be my big helper and boy is he ever. He feeds the dog, waters the garden, gets drinks and treats for Gage, gets the laundry out of the dryer and much more. Man I owe that boy a lot. He's been amazing. However, it makes me feel incompetent. Jerry is already so busy with work, school and our addtion. Now he's being Mr.Mom. He's doing a spectacular job but as I lay on the couch watching him work it just makes me feel that much worse. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it. I just hate not being able to do anything. Oh well. Just a few more weeks and I'll be able to help out again.


So I have to have Non-Stress Test done twice weekly, a BioPhysical Profile done weekly and take Procardia every 6 hours to hold off contractions. Plus I get to wear some pretty sexy compression socks. Since I am down so much they don't want blood clots forming. I have to wear them for at least 23 hours a day if possible. Man I'm stylin....

All in all it was a pretty hectic couple days, but during that time I never felt scared. I was comfroted the whole time and I know that everything will turn out well if I just listen to my body and my doctor. The next 3 weeks are going to be rough but I just hope that I can last that long so our babies have a better chance of surviving and being healthy. Thank goodness for prayer. I know that is what is keeping these babies alive and well so far.

2 comments:

ashley b said...

goodness charlsye! take it easy and hang in there. part of me wants to be jealous that you could be meeting your little people so soon, but that's just the irrational prego lady talking! i know it must be nerve racking to be in that situation. i hope they are growing good and strong and will be well prepared for the day they do come. best wishes!!

LuAnne said...

Hey girl! Hang in there! You can do it for a few more weeks :) Enjoy that time of being pampered & resting, because in a few weeks life will be crazy!!!! I've known a few friends that have had twins in the last 2 weeks. One's twins were 2 & 3 lbs and they other's were 3 & 4 pounds - and they went home within 5 days! So sit tight and let those babies grow. let me know what I can do. Meals, watch the boys, etc.