Yesterday was Valentine's Day. I'll be honest by saying that this holiday has never been a HUGE one in our household. As the kids get older I am trying to make a bigger deal out of it. Simply for more fun and so that they understand just how much I DO love them. Although, I need to be better about showing it everyday.
This year I had special things planned for them. Not anything grand but stuff that made them feel special nontheless. I had balloons and candy delivered to them at school. My friend Rachelle delivered them. She has a boy Kaysen's age so when she dropped them off he told here Thank you. Then told me that Rachelle brought him a Valentine!!! I had to explain to him that it was from Jerry and I, not Rachelle. Haha. You should have seen Gage's face when he saw what Kaysen got. He was a bit sad, thinking he wouldn't get one. However, when it was his turn to go to school he got some too and his teachers tell me he was so excited.
In return both of them made Jerry and I a card. Here is Kaysen's...
Here is Gage's...
I'd be lying if I told you that yesterday was a good day. It started early. By that I mean at about 3:00am. I was running on about 4 hours of completely interrupted sleep. So I was a bit on edge no matter how hard I tried not to be. Teagen was so fussy. He's still trying to get that bottom tooth. So I had a crying baby, no wait check that, TWO crying babies plus 2 boys that just wanedt to eat all of their candy NOW, and start to throw fits because I won't let them. I was tired. I was grouchy. But I was REALLY trying so hard not to be. I was starting to feel sorry for myself and started being really negative. So what did I do??
At the last minute I put together a little something for Jerry. (Like I said, Valentine's Day isn't big with us so usually we just do something homemade. I planed to do an alphabet book on reasons why I love him. Never got to it. I was just swamped....and tired)
Quickly. I mean very quickly my attitude changed. I became excited for this little surprise. And boy did that have the same effect on my boys. Teagen and Kynlee were finally taking a nap so it was just Kaysen, Gage and Me. We don't get to have moments like this very often anymore so this was special.
We started by getting streamers and writing words tha described what we loved about Jerry or why we loved him. Then we hung them from the ceiling above our dining room table. Too bad I only had half a roll of that stuff. We could have kept going...and it would have looked much better. Then we blew up some ballons and wrote more reasons why we loved him, and a few little notes on them too.
Then we spelt this out on our fridge. ( Kaysen actually spelled out most of it on his own. And it worked pretty good because I couldn't finde another E or an O to spell love the right way."
Then Dad walked in the door about 30 minutes later and boy was he surprised. He was more surprised at my mood. He had sent me a text earlier in the day asking how my day was. I told him to not be surprised if I was completely grouchy when he got home. He replied, "Hag in there." I replied, "Yes, that is what I am acting like. HAHA" He meant to put "Hang in there" but I think that his words were pretty fitting for the moment.
Then we continued our tradition of pink heart pancakes covered in whip cream and strawberries. We have done them for breakfast the past couple years, but Jerry has to leave too early now so we settled on it for dinner. MMMM....it was good. And the best part was that Jerry cooked them, as tradition states he should do.
So it started out looking like a long, hard day. And it was. But as I got wrapped up in thinking about someone else, instead of pittying myself, my day did a complete 180 and I realized how lucky I am. Lucky to have that guy as my Valentine. Lucky that we have 2 boys that throw fits but give us awesome, homemade cards. Lucky that we have 2 babies that kept me up at night but cuddle into my neck and calm down as soon as I pick them up. Lucky to have this life and this family....FOREVER.
No comments:
Post a Comment