Last Thursday I woke up before my boys and Jerry so I was able to fix Jerry breakfast and lunch before he headed to work, read my scriptures, cut all my coupons out and do a little bit of homework.
I thought...man this will be a good day.
I don't have all that much to do anymore.
My boys will have my attention pretty much ALL day long without interruptions.
We ate breakfast together then headed to the grocery store.
Gage fell asleep on the way home so I sat next to Kaysen on the couch, hoping he would fall asleep as I did a bit more homework.
I'm typing away at my 12 page report when I suddenly look down and realize that the center stone on my wedding ring has fallen off. My stomach was in my throat.
Frantically I searched the immediate area hoping it is lying there waiting to be found.
No such luck.
I think hard. Wondering when the last time I for sure saw it on my finger was.
I know it was there in Safeway.
In a feeble attempt to see if they have my diamond I call and notify them. Knowing that the chances of it being found are pretty slim. But hey, I can't not try.
I start to cry. It made me feel sick.
This in turn makes Kaysen cry because I'm sad. He is such a soft hearted little boy. He hates to see others cry. He's a bit like me in this sense.
So much for paying all my attention to my boys. The rest of the afternoon was spent searching my truck and house. Vacuuming every inch then dumping it in a filter and shaking the dirt hoping each time that my diamond would rise to the surface.
I called my insurance company, knowing that my ring is covered under my homeowners insurance. However, the way my insurance is set up would make my deductible a little less than the cost of a new diamond plus it would raise my premium.
I remember loosing my wallet when I was about 8 years old or so. I had been saving my money for a kite and these (now I'll admit hideous) fake fingernails and play lipstick. I couldn't find it anywhere. I went in my closet and cried. I told myself it was silly to pray to Heavenly Father for something like this. Eventually I prayed and cried the whole time.
Suddenly, I opened my closet door, while still kneeling down and saw my wallet under my dresser. I don't know how it got there but I was so excited that it was found.
When I lost my diamond on Thursday I told myself it was silly to pray to Heavenly Father to help me find it. It was a worldly possession that I could live with out. Then I thought back to the incident I had when I was 8. I hoped so badly for the same outcome.
Finally I went to my bed and knelt in prayer. I asked that I would be able to know where to look in order to find it and waited. No answer. Then I felt the need to pray to be comforted. Instantly I felt peace.
I dreaded telling Jerry when he came home even though I knew he wouldn't be mad. Actually he said, "That's fine. We'll just buy you a whole new ring."
I don't want a new ring.
I want my ring.
The ring he pursposed to me with.
The ring he promised to love me for ETERNITY with.
I still have not found my diamond.
But we plan on getting a new diamond to replace this one, if my ring can be repaired to hold a new diamond.
This event has taught me that Heavenly Father does listen to our prayers. He didn't help me find my diamond, which would have been awesome, but he did bring me the comfort that I needed.
It was only a ring. An important ring to me but as Jerry said, "At least you only lost a ring. It can be replaced. It's not everything. You still have your family and a home." That was a bit humbling.
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That makes me sick just hearing about your ring! I lost my wedding ring the day before MY WEDDING! It was so sad. so, I can relate to this. But, you are such a wonderful example of what we need to do and remember what's really important. Thanks for sharing this!
PS... now that you are private.. do we still have to do the word verification? I'm sooooo not good at those lol.. I have to do them twice at least!! just wondering. Its ok if you keep it to.
:) Bryanna
yea, better to lose the ring than the husband. That stinks badly though. My friend lost hers and a few days later AMAZINGLy found it in her bathtub. Hope it shows up.
Post a Comment