Many days I find myself counting down the hours until bedtime.
Yesterday just so happened to be one of those days.
It was windy and I mean WINDY...perfect for WINDSDAY huh??
All day long my boys were whining and wanting to play outside so bad but I kept telling them it was too windy.
Kaysen's reply was "No huh! Look at the trees, they are barely shaking!"
The newly grown trees lining our driveway were nearly bent to the ground at this moment.
Finally I threw my hands up in the air and said, "Fine. We'll go outside."
So, we put hats and sunglasses on to protect our eyes. This is a must because you see, I live in a sand pit...especially when the wind blows.
At first it wasn't so bad. I put Gage in the swing and he was having a grand ol' time.
Kaysen proceeded to climb up our propane tank. He loves to straddle it while holding on to the handle with one hand and throwing his other in the air. He says he is a bull rider. Then he hops of and lays on the ground saying, "I got bucked off."
However, he didn't get to do this yesterday.
The moment he climbed on the tank a HUGE gust of wind came.
He instantly said, "I wanna go inside now."
Being the mean mom I can sometimes be. I told him that we were going to stay outside a bit longer because he wanted to. (mostly, I was letting Ruger run around and play. He too was sick of being cooped up.)
After a few more 90mph gusts I decided Ruger needed to go back in his pin so we could go back in our house.
This decision was not a popular one. Especially, when I'm outnumbered 3-1 in this home. Did anyone ever tell you though, that mom votes count for at least 100 votes???
So, we trudged back inside.
I bribed them with homemade smoothies.
We got vanilla ice cream, milk, banana, strawberries, blackberries and pineapple and carrots (that way they got some veggies) and made one FANTASTIC smoothie.
The happiness lasted as long as the smoothies did.
Luckily, Jerry came home not much later. We ate dinner as a family at 7:00.
We fixed more smoothies...I told everyone we needed another one because Jerry didn't get one earlier. So we got out the vanilla ice cream and milk again. This time we did strawberries, blackberries, pineapple, mango and carrots and made another fantastic smoothie.
As soon as we completed these, around 7:40, I looked to Jerry and say, "Ready for bed?"
His reply was, "I can tell you are. Let's go."
So we proceeded to get the boys ready for bed. Did I mention that my boys NEVER got out of their pj's yesterday?
Kaysen fought me ALL day about getting dressed. Because the weather was so bad and I knew we weren't going anywhere I decided to let him win this little battle.
Well last night he didn't want to take those pj's off again. So I conceded and let him wear them to bed again.
We read a couple of books and then knelt to say our bedtime prayer.
Tonight was Kaysen's turn.
No matter how grouchy and ready for bed I am...I can't wait to hear his prayers. I never know what is going to come out of his mouth.
Last night he said, "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for this day. Thank you for our bodies. Thank you for Ruger. Bless him. Thank you for Uncle Jeremy, Jennie, Peter and Klydie. Bless their new doggie. Thank you for Dustin and Abbi and Brax and Riann. Bless my leggie to feel better. Bless us to sleep good. Thank you for Prophet Monson. Thank you for Jesus. Bless them. Bless Mommy to be happy. Bless Daddy to be safe at work. Thank you for Kaysen and Gage and Mommy and Daddy. Bless them. Bless the wind to stop. Bless Ruger. Name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
His prayers are simple and humble. Last night was a longer prayer than usual. He always blesses the prophet, his family and Ruger. Lately, he has been blessing the Cluff family too. (They rent our house) He has never blessed for me to be happy...you think he knew I was a bit grouchy?? He makes me laugh and smile. I just love hearing those prayers. I'm usually not as grouchy after hearing one.
We proceeded to sing I Am a Child of God, I Love to See the Temple, A Child's Prayer, I Kneel to Pray and I Hope They Call Me on a Mission just like we do every night as my boys fall asleep. Usually Kaysen falls asleep after about 3 songs. Last night I kept singing because Gage wouldn't give in.
After the sweet prayer of Kaysen's, Gage changed my mood back pretty fast though.
You see, we took him out of his crib a few months ago. I used to be able to just lay him in his crib and without ANY crying he would fall asleep within seconds. Now, he knows that he can walk out of his room, so I have been sitting on the floor beside his bed until he falls asleep. Last night this boy did NOT want to go to sleep. Finally, I walked out of the room and went to my bed...knowin he would mostl likely follow.
Jerry was waiting for me so we could read scriptures. I lay down on the bed for 2 seconds, and here comes Gage with the cutest smile on his face.
I turn my head so he can't see me smile. He climbs on my bed, lays his arms on my back, rests his head on his arms and has this mischevious grin on his face. Jerry covers his mouth so Gage can't see his laugh, but I turn my head to look at him...and melt.
That boy just has a way of doing this to me. However, I tell Jerry it is his turn to get the boy to sleep. So out the two of them go.
Gage cries, "Mama! Mama!" for a good 10 minutes then finally lets sleep overtake him.
That boy is such a mama's boy...it's ridiculous. Part of me loves it....and I know one day I will wish he still was one. Kaysen used to be one, not as much as Gagef, but he still was. Now its all Dad.
Jerry came in the room a few minutes later but I didn't know it. I was fast asleep and according to Jerry this morining it was only 8:50pm when he came back in. Did I mention that I was ready for bed???
Today we head to Show Low, in this 100mph wind.
At least, my kids won't be complaining about not going outside so much. I bet that tonight I will still be ready for bedtime once again.
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This darn wind!! I hear ya about bed time.... early bed time. Man we are getting old :) One tip for little Gage man is to get a gate. Kiehra did the same exact thing when she went from crib to bed, she was the best sleeper in her crib. But I got a gate and put it on their door at night so she could still look out but not feel shut out with the door closed. It was only a matter of days that she was back in the routine of naptime and bedtime without crying.
Post a Comment