I couldn't tell him no to this one. I haven't watched it in quite some time.
As a kid this was my ALL time favorite movie. I still have every line memorized from watching it literally every day after my homework was done for a year.(at least)
I even dressed up as Princess Jasmine (although blonde) for 2 years because I didn't want to give it up. I tried to make it 3 years but I grew too much that 3rd year....
For Christmas Santa even brought me an Aladdin Flying Carpet Ride game. That's the only gift I really remember getting that year, although I know there were more. All I cared about was that game. I didn't even know it existed but Santa sure knew what I would want.
My cousin Rikki and I played that game EVERY time she came over.
My mom played that game with me every Friday or Saturday night.
I still have that game stashed at the top of Kaysen's closet.
Kaysen begged me to play it with him.
It still works although a few peices are missing, the spinning Genie has to be taped on in order to spin and the characters that stick on the flying carpet fly off at every spin.
I think this game will become a new favorite by someone else too.
Next he requsted this one....
Although I never loved Jungle Book like I loved Aladdin it sure brings back a good memory of mine.
My cousin Rikki and I used to spend 1-2 weeks in Winslow at our grandparents house during the summer. (who would have thought I'd raise my family just 20 miles from their old house...I NEVER thought I would)
I looked forward to these wonderful vacations. My grandma would teach us how to do all kinds of things. We modge podged material on plates to make a cake platter for our moms, we painted a wooden statue of a mother and daugther. She bought us fake glue on nails and flat white shoes every time. We picked berries and she'd make homemade elderberry, raspberry or blackberry syrup for pancakes. Our grandpa took us on horse rides and let us help feed the horses every day. We cleaned his truck in bare feet and realized how stupid an idea it was in Winslow Arizona where camel thorns run wild and gouge your feeet horribly. My grandma got a little sick so my grandpa made bean soup. We had never heard of it....but I'll just say that its a night I'll probably never forget.
However, one year we stayed a bit longer than usual. Or maybe it just seemed that way to me. My Uncle Dean who sometimes worked in Winslow brought us back home on his return trip. I couldn't wait to get home.
When I walked in my room I was so excited. Then my Mom pointed out that there was a surprise for me on my desk.
Sure enough, there stood Jungle Book, a roll of drawing paper and new markers.
I remember in that moment feeling loved and missed.
My parents got it for me as a "Welcome Home" gift. It sure felt good to be home.
Sitting on the couch, watching these two movies with my boys has brought back so many great memories of my childhood. I sure am glad that I kept those ancient VHS's.
I loved watching those movies with by moys.
I loved remembering my childhood.
I loved just being home today.


No comments:
Post a Comment