Kaysen wants to choose the right. He doesn't always do it, but he wants to. He also watches people. I mean everyone. (so watch out) He ABSORBS everything he sees and really ponders all of it. Lately he has been on this "choosing the right" kick.
"Mom, the store shouldn't sell beer because then people drink it and that's not choosing the right."
"Why do they have cameras in the store?" I tell him it's because they can catch people who might be stealing items from the store. "Oh, but all they have to do is go get their money to pay for it. It's not choosing the right to just steal it."
"What is Captain Hook smoking? Why does he smoke? He's not choosing the right."
"That guy is riding his four wheeler and today is Sunday, Mom. That's not choosing the right."
"That girl is showing her chest Mom. Where are her garments? It's not nice of her to show everybody her privates." (This one he said a bit loud, in line at Safeway."
"Why doesn't Grandpa go to church?" This one is really hard for him to understand. He just thinks everyone goes. I explain that Grandpa doesn't want to, and Heavenly Father doesn't make us go. We just choose to go because it make Heavenly Father and us happy. He replied, "Is that why Grandpa is grouchy sometimes?" (haha. My dad isn't necessarily a grouch. He just doesn't walk around with a smile plastered on his face."
"Why doesn't she have a husband? She has kids and they have to have a Daddy so where is he?" I told him that this lady is divorced. "What does divorced mean?" I tell him that it means they aren't married anymore. He was instantly sad and then sat on the couch and began thinking and said, "Then how will they all live in heaven together?" and "Does everyone get divorced?"
Last night I was reading to my boys. There are shapes that you take out of the book throughout it and then find where they fit in the back of the book. Gage loves the octagon. Kaysen knows this. However, he snatched it before Gage could he think about getting it. I said, "You know the octagon is Gage's favorite one. Was it nice to just snatch it or should you take turns? Remember, last time you had it." He sat quietly but quickly said, "Oh ya. Here ya go bud, it's your turn." Then turned to me with a bright smile and said, "Mom! This time I choosed the right!"
I stubbed my toe. Hard. This is one of the instances when a curse word comes flying out of my mouth. I can hold in cussing when holding conversations. Really. I just don't cuss. However, when I stub my toe, hit my head or am a little frustrated, every now and then a curse word come flying out faster than I can think. So as soon as the toe was stubbed I said, "Gosh D***** that hurt!" Kaysen whips his head around to look at me with horribly sad eyes and says, "Mom, that's a bad word." I told him sorry, and that I wouldn't say it again.
Then, Jerry was getting frustrated with the boys for not cleaning up their toys and from getting after them for many things one day. He doesn't curse either. However, in the heat of this particular moment he did say "s*** He turned around to see Kaysen staring at him, with tears in his eyes, and Kaysen said, "Dad, don't EVER say that word again." Jerry said, "Yeah, I know bud. It's a bad word and I'm sorry I won't say it again."
In these last two instances Jerry and I were the ones being corrected by our son. He pays so much attention to everything we do. We need to do better at watching how we act, so he'll know how to act. He always prays that we'll make good choices and be like Jesus. Although he is noticing things done by others and he is judging them, for now I don't mind. We just explain to him that people can make their own choices and we need to love them regardless. Just like him, and that he doesn't always make the right choice. Thank goodness we have this little boy that wants so badly to do what is good, it helps us do what is good more often.
Monday, May 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment