Last week I had a Doctors appointment for a routine check up and to go over the results of our ultrasound. (Turns out my Doctor thinks the ultrasound tech is right on, on presuming the gender of our babies.)
She informed me that the ultrasound showed that my cervix was only 3cm in length. She didn't worry too much but informed me that I needed to take it easy and that we'd get another ultrasound in one month to see if my cervix shortened anymore. If so, it'd be bed rest and possibly a cerclage for me. (i know, a little personal maybe, but this is my pregnancy journal too and I want to remember all the things we went through to get our babies here.) It could just be my body has a short cervix, it could just be from the weight of two babies, or it could be thinning too much too fast. However, I wasn't too worried because my Dr. wasn't too worried.
Then on Thursday I started feeling a tightness in my stomach and some lower back pain. I started drinking 8oz of water every hour thinking maybe I was just a little dehydrated. I had been cleaning a lot that day and the day before, and I had watched 6 kids that morning. So I sat down to rest too. The tightness didn't stop. Jerry got home from work and I explained what was happening. I told him I'd wait it out a bit and call the Dr. in the morning, unless things got worse. He gave me a blessing and I felt much more at peace. I was able to rest that night and thought everything was over.
Friday morning I woke up to a aching lower back and a tight stomach. So I called the Dr. I knew that if these really were contractions then my cervix would be getting shorter and that wasn't good news. She wanted me to head to Show Low for an ultrasound immediately. So I did. (side note: the babies were each around 8" in length)
I'm still waiting for the official results. The tech couldn't give me his measurements. We have to wait for the head radiologist to decide that and determine if it is different from my ultrasound on the 19th. It's Memorial Weekend so we won't be hearing the official report until at least tomorrow. After some reaserch I've found that the average woman's cervix at this stage is suppossed to be 4cm-4.5cm. Mine is around 3cm. Mine is the average length of a woman who is 32-36 weeks pregnant. So until we know for sure if it is shortening more (and for longer, not sure how much longer though) I have been put on "slight" bed rest. I am supposed to lay down for two straight hours each morning and afternoon and as much as possible in between. No cleaning, no exercising, no sitting for long amounts of time, no lifting. Basically, a lot of NO's.
I've done it. I've made myself stay down. It hasn't been easy. I hate having to ask Jerry to get me a cup of water when the cup and sink are 10 steps away. Or asking him to get a toweland wipe Gage's face off when Gage is sitting on my lap. I went to sacrament meeting but had to skip the other two. I was looking forward to our combined adult meeting when I would get to sit next to Jerry with no kids to worry about. However, my bed was calling my name so away I went. I hate that my floors are horribly dirty. Jerry will do them for me, he always does when I can't, or when I don't want to. It doesn't get done as soon as I would do them, but it gets done. Today Kaysen heard me say the floors needed vacuumed so he did it for me. I've learned to not be picky with my help. So what if he missed a few spots. He got the general area done and did willingly and wanting to help. He reminds me I need to keep the babies safe. He sure is an observant boy...and he's done a good job at reminding me of why I am doing this.
I just pray full bed rest doesn't happen in the future. This "slight" bedrest is bad enough. But I'll do it if it will keep our babies in there longer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
congrats on twins! thats amazing! I hope everything turns out ok! Stay rested and off your feet so those littles can get big and strong! And yay for a girl! You need one with all those boys lol. Can't wait to hear names! your Boys are adorable BTW.
i bet it's hard especially with two little ones, but what a blessing that kaysen understands. that's got to be a huge help. i hope everything turns out well. take it easy.
Post a Comment