Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I'm learning too...

Kaysen has been making his own bed for quite some time now.  He really does a great job at it too. We just recently redecorated and rearranged the boys room though and it is much harder for him to make his bed that is now smashed between the wall and the dresser.  He has figured out a system though and is doing great again, although it can be a painstaking process. You see, Kaysen is like me. Picky. If I just mention that the bottom of his bed is still showing,or if he notices a big wrinkle he'll fix it until it is gone, his pillows go exactly how he wants them along with any animals that may want to stay on his bed that day.  Many times, by the time he is done making his bed he is really frustrated...and then I end up getting frustrated.


 Gage on the other hand still needs a bit of help. He wants to do it by himself, and I've been trying to let him.
 Then later I go in a fix it a bit.  This has  been making him a little upset.  He liked it the way it was when he did it and thought he did such a good job, which he did. However, he is not like me. He is not picky when it comes to where things go or how they are done.  He just wants it done how he does it, not how someone else does it. Which most times, how he gets something done is not how I would do it or want it. Thus causing more frustration. He could care less if the bottom of the bed shows, or if wrinkles are showing, and he definitely doesn't care how is animals or pillows are placed.


I am learning that both of my boys and I are much happier if I am not in the room when they are making their beds.  Kaysen works on it until it is good enough for him. Which ends up being pretty dang close to good enough for me.  Gage just makes his as he wants and then will ask for help "getting it flat." I've noticed that as long as he asks me for help, then it is okay for me to straighten up his bed a bit. His pillows are still just randomly placed but oh well. At least they are on the bed. 

I know. You're thinking I'm way OCD. I'm really not....that bad.  At least I never thought I was and I know I could be way worse. My boys are teaching me to let the little stuff slide. They are learning how to get things done on their own.  That's the only way they are going to learn it too. If I go in and FIX everything they do, they'll think that what they do isn't good enough for me and they will quit wanting to do the things I ask them to do.  I should just be happy that they are willing to make their bed each morning and pick up their toys each night. Even if both things aren't done exactly how I want. It is getting done and they are doing a great job of it.

I was told that once I had two kids my pickiness would fade. It didn't. If anything it got worse. Now people are telling me that I'll be so busy with twins and my other two boys that I won't care at all. I really don't see that happening. But I sure am going to try to not flip out about stuff so much. I know I'll be a lot more sane and my boys will be a lot more happy if learn to just chill.

I'm learning that as a Mom, I'm still learning too and my kids are my greatest teachers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally understand the bed makin frustrations! Roman is, in a way, like both your boys... when he's in a helpful/obidient mood he takes forever to make his bed perfect (& can get mad along the way, cause his bed is in the same squished position as Kaysen's), or when he's in a playful/ not-so-obidient mood he'll just through his blanket up & toss his pillows on the bed like. Both attitudes can make me frustrated, but I totally agree with your 3rd to last paragraph!!

ashley b said...

your boys sound just like mine. they are so different from each other. gage is so particular about EVERYTHING and garrett could care less half of the time. on occasion he will get fussy about things being just so but for the most part he just wants to do his thing with as little influence from us as possible. and to be honest, i kind of love that about him because it is so opposite of me and more of how i wish i could be. at times i find myself worrying for gage that he is going to struggle with things that i did because i see more similarities in us and it makes me want to be more laid back and try to rub that off on him a little. i've finally reached the point where i can high five them after there room is clean even though i'm itching to rearrange the toy bins and move a few things ever so slightly. i see how proud they are of themselves and i don't dare touch their hard work. i know as they get older they will work out the kinks and hopefully so will i. :)